I started Flowers II in 2018. I didn’t like how I painted the flowers, initially, so I did some editing. Then, when I was [overwhelmingly] happy with the flowers, I wasn’t sure how to paint the vases. I was a wee bit nervous about getting the colors wrong so I decided to put it off to the side and wait for myself to calm down.
For a brief moment in 2019, I had the idea of painting the vases in monochrome, specifically, with Lipton Tea.
I first made a master copy of the outline of the flowers and vases. I then planned out which parts would have how many layers of tea. The more layers the darker. I used Frog tape to cover the areas that would be lighter than other areas and then removed the Frog tape one set of areas at a time, as I applied more and more washes of tea.
I may have given certain areas a bit too much tea because a part of the surface, at the bottom, has spots. Moreover, with so much tea, the Frog tape let some of the tea seep under the edges so the lines it created weren’t very clean.
I want to say that helped take the pressure off of not “ruining” the work, but I still wasn’t sure how to do what I did for the flowers as I might for the vases.
This last week, I finally said F*** it and stuck to the most obvious choices. (I had to let go of the ambition to go beyond what I was already doing and to just complete what I’ve started.)
I first aimed to make it look like the original, so the only change would’ve been the flowers. But, using watercolor pencils, I couldn’t find the right combination of colors to have the same color scheme. Eventually, I realized I wasn’t thinking about the wash I’d made with the tea. It goes very well with the red of the flowers but it also makes the entire color scheme more somber or “rustic.” (The original Flowers II has no wash so the background is bright white and the color scheme is bright and cheerful.)
Going through so many sketches, I could also see the benefit of having a lighter hand. (It’s more delicate and makes the vases more of a supporting element for the flowers.) I decided to use each color twice, making it either lighter and more transparent or darker and more opaque.
To make it lighter, I applied the pencil lightly over the surface and then wet the brush without dabbing it (much) to give the area a wash, and then dabbed the area dry with a towel. To make it darker, I applied the pencil more heavily. I also wet the brush and then swiped it across a dry towel before applying it to the area.
Once I had an idea of what the colors would be for a single vase, I used the carbon copy I made in 2018 to produce the outlines for a study that included all the vases.
I used the following colors from a set of 72 watercolor pencils by Arteza: Lime Green (a600), Pear Green (a603), Shamrock Green (a605) and Fern Green (a612).
There’s a small part of me that wants to color in the centers of the flowers on the top row to follow through with what I was doing with the tea. But … It might make the work a little off balance and make me inclined to add a leaf on the left side. Or I may be over thinking it and should just be happy with what I have.
I was thinking mostly of Joan Miro’s The Poetess and other similar works. But I’ve been browsing Saatchi’s website and, clicking on the subsequent ads that show up in my hotmail account, I discovered Ebru Acar Taralp, who has a style that seems to be very similar to what I’m doing with Flowers II (and Trees). There’s also green composition by Rafa Mateo.
I want to say I’ve seen a couple of other artists making it a part of what they’re doing, but I don’t remember their names. Well, all this to say, It must be a thing.